PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Wednesday 28 September 2011

A WALK IN OWL WOOD

Today began with a beautiful autumn sunrise, which held the promise of a good day. 


Your dad got stuck into some bricklaying - he is doing an excellent job, as I will show you in a few days.   I still can't walk too far, or help out with the bricklaying, so I soon got down to some sewing and listening to Radio 4, bliss!  Then the sighs started.  The reproachful looks. Toby just feels cheated when anyone else I walks him.  Believe me,  I felt the guilt, tried to ignore it ... but couldn't. I tried on my Muckboots but they hurt my toe, so I had to make do with my old faithful sandals.  Comfortable, no pressure on my broken toe - but they do leave my fat, white, toes exposed ...


Toby was thrilled as I made my way through the vegetable garden and led the way into the wood - Pip followed, slowly.  The hens were nowhere to be seen.
This is how the floor of the wood looks, Jonny.  Beautiful colours, crunchy textures.  Autumn is having an effect and transforming everywhere.


Toby loved his walk with me.  Pip lagged so far behind that we met her on the fourth side of the walk - virtually back at the start!!
and the hens finally came running and pecking around my bare, vulnerable toes...
luckily I had prepared for this and had plenty of chard (their new favourite) with me
so we managed our escape while they were otherwise occupied!
This is the view from the wood - rich, brown ploughed soil.  Very different from when you left.


Lots of love,


Mum
xxx

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful walk you had. I loved how the chickens walked in a row down the path. I bet your eggs are delicious with all the free ranging your girls do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and hasn't the weather been AMAZING!!! like the best Autumn day EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wood looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good autumnal weather really brings out the beauty in everything - and we are so fortunate to be having the most wonderful weather!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.