PEAR TREE LOG

pear tree log: I started this blog to keep my younger son, Jonny, in touch with life in Lincolnshire, while he spent a year working in China. That year turned into five! Now he is home and training to become a physics teacher. This is simply a patchwork quilt of some of the things I enjoy - life in rural Lincolnshire, our animals, friends, architecture, books, the gardens, and things of passing interest.



Saturday 27 October 2012

New Girls in the Owl Wood

Snow, sleet, hailstones, heavy rain, biting northerly winds.  

Hardly the ideal way to welcome four semi-plucked ex battery hens to the big wide world of Owl Wood.


We collected them from a farm on the far side of Lincolnshire.   When we arrived there were some two hundred blonde and balding hens taking their first breaths of freedom in the bitterly cold yard of the farm.    One of the assistants caught four hens for us, and as we put them into the cardboard boxes two characters immediately shone through.

The one who has most of her feathers is definitely a feisty one, she decided that she didn't want to be in the box and made to escape, I had to restrain her.    The other one which came to our attention was plonked in the box and immediately fell flat on her face.. and stayed that way.   Once we had assisted her to the upright position she was fine.  Bewildered, confused, hen-pecked - she has a bald neck and few feathers.

The feisty one to the left, the confused one is to the right.
It distresses me to see them looking like this, but they are in far better condition than the first batch we had, and they went on to enjoy several happy years with us.  

These girls will soon settle in and get their cosy feather duvets to keep them warm.

Welcome to our little woodland, girls.  
You are about to have the time of your lives.  
You will be pampered and loved - and you will have your freedom to roam and do "hen things".

25 comments:

  1. Oh, they are so lucky to have found you. It will be wonderful watching them become healthy again. Where on earth are they coming from in such bad shape? Are they from factory farms? Poor ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky these lovely ladies are to have you come to their rescue. I can't wait to see how they flourish with your gentle touch. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. The will be happy hens! Bless 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were so lucky to have been 'chosen' to come and live in your lovely woodland. Wishing them many happy days doing ' hen things' in Owl Wood.I love how Toby is watching what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what where you stand.... they will be under your feet more than carpet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little hens ..
    now they will be very happy.
    You are lucky to be able to have hens.. i would love too.. but the fox's come and the ferrets ..
    thank you for your comments my side Elaine.
    happy weekend around the "farm"
    val

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken heaven for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really upsets me to see animals in this condition. They are so lucky to have been chosen by you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 'Turkens' look like that even when they're in tip-top condition. Well done, I'm sure they'll have a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They'll be a brilliant replacement band for the previous four (who also had wonderful Hen-OAP lives with you).

    I'm starting a fan club for Isadora - you have to love any creature that falls onto its face and fails to bother to notice or care!

    I hope that they are all OK after their first Siberian-esque night in Linconshire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're going to be even more beautiful when their feathers grow back. They haven't had their beaks trimmed have they? That's a very cruel thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heart-warming. I look forward to watching their progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are battery hens and why have they been so abused? It's wonderful that you drove all that way to rescue them. I love Owl's name of Isadora for the clumsy one.
    I hope they are all happy and healthy very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely love it, makes me feel better about the world

    ReplyDelete
  15. The weather may not be cooperating, but you sure make up for it with such a warm welcome. Lucky chics.
    Saved you a truffle ... or two. ;)
    Thank you again for my very own warm welcome to the sisterhood, Elaine. I feel like a lucky chic too.
    XOXO's,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure hope your weather improves soon! Take care and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We used to have rescue battery hens when we kept chickens in the UK, always amazing how quickly they recover.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elaine! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to return your kind visit to my blog! Your blog is beautiful and I love that you rescue hens. If our city limits would allow it, I would keep hens and definitely seek some out to rescue.

    Very nice to meet you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Elaine,
    Sounds like Ms Hens'Riviera.....sssh don't broadcast it too much you'll have a queue at your door LOL!

    Now seriously! wonderful to hear they have been saved...they could do with a battery hen rescue association here.
    I'm going to look forward to photos of them in a few weeks it'll be great to see how plump and plush they become on being pampered.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Everyone, Thank you for your wonderful comments - my apologies for not answering you individually. I am still working on some other projects at the moment, I hope to have more time for blogging in a couple of weeks. The hens are doing well, they had their first real taste of freedom yesterday we let them roam in the wood. They didn't go far, but they seemed to enjoy it as they scratched around the earth and began exploring a little. I'm delighted to say they all took themselves off to bed before dusk; their world has expanded! Life is as good as it can be, for four little hens saved from the pie factory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little things like that (although for the hens it must be far from little those big steps into freedom) are so good to hear. Keep well xx

      Amanda :-)

      Delete
  21. Saved you some chocolate, Elaine. :)
    Take your time living life outside of blogland. I totally understand.
    XOXO's,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad you rescued them! They will be so happy at Owl Wood!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello. Just checking in/checking up. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope the weather is treating you more kindly and all is well with the four little hens from the pie factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanne, We have snow right now, luckily the new girls really don't seem to mind it at all! They have the freedom to roam in the woodland during the day, with full access to their little house. They are settling in very nicely, becoming four little characters. I'll try to find time to post about them in the next few weeks...things are still very busy around here right now - grandparenting duties, time spent looking after my 90 year old aunt, and then the jobs which have to be done around this place...then there is Christmas to organise! Never a dull moment! I am still managing to read the blogs I enjoy, I just don't comment very often, but don't worry, I'm still around!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.